Possible Discussion Questions
- How does this case have an impact on high school students? How do you think the students will react to the case? How is this case relevant today?
- What if the Court reached the opposite conclusion that it did in the case? How would such a decision affect students? Schools in general? Society at large?
- Who is in the best position to make decisions affecting school policy and discipline? The courts? School administrators? Teachers? Parents? Students? Combinations of these different groups?
- What do you see as the proper role of the Supreme Court in the life of high school students? In society at large?
- Do you feel that the Supreme Court has affected your life? If so, in what ways?
- Can you name any decisions/holdings of the Supreme Court that have had a significant impact on society? If so, how do you feel about these decisions?
- Do you think students should have the same rights as adults? Is it ever appropriate to limit students' rights during school hours? If so, under what circumstances?
- How much authority should schools have over students when they are off school property? For instance, should schools have the right to punish a student for material on the student's personal website that makes fun of a teacher? What if the website threatens a teacher and/or fellow student?