- (a)Federal public and community defenders appointed to provide representation in International Prisoner Transfer proceedings under 18 U.S.C. § 4109(a)(2) and (b) must obtain travel authorizations from the Office of Defender Services, Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts (AO), 202-502-3030.
- (b)Travel vouchers, with supporting documentation, are to be submitted to the local clerk of court for reimbursement of expenses.
- (c)A copy of the paid travel voucher must be forwarded to the AO Office of Defender Services.
- (d)The AO will initiate action to obtain reimbursement of expenses from the U.S. Department of State. See: 18 U.S.C. § 4109(a)(2).
- (a)Private attorneys and guardians ad litem appointed to provide representation in International Prisoner Transfer proceedings under 18 U.S.C. § 4107 are compensated in accordance with the Criminal Justice Act (CJA), 18 U.S.C. § 3006A, and the Guide to Judiciary Policy. See: 18 U.S.C. § 4109(a)(1).
- (b)Appointed counsel and guardians ad litem must use the appropriate CJA forms to receive compensation and reimbursement of expenses. The CJA forms, together with instructions for their use, are posted on the public judiciary website.
- (c)An appointment in an International Prisoner Transfer proceeding is considered an appointment in a misdemeanor case for purposes of compensation under the CJA. See: 18 U.S.C. § 4109(a)(1).
Last revised August 2, 2010