Court of Appeals Miscellaneous Fee Schedule
(Issued in accordance with 28 U.S.C. §1913)
The fees included in the Court of Appeals Miscellaneous Fee Schedule are to be
charged for services provided by the courts of appeals.
- The United States should not be charged fees under this schedule,
except as prescribed in Items 2, 4, and 5 when the information
requested is available through remote electronic access.
- Federal agencies or programs that are funded from judiciary
appropriations (agencies, organizations, and individuals providing
services authorized by the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006A,
and bankruptcy administrators) should not be charged any fees under
(1) For docketing a case on appeal or review, or docketing any other
- Each party filing a notice of appeal pays a separate fee to the district
court, but parties filing a joint notice of appeal pay only one fee.
- There is no docketing fee for an application for an interlocutory
appeal under 28 U.S.C. § 1292(b) or other petition for permission to
appeal under FED. R. APP. P. 5, unless the appeal is allowed.
- There is no docketing fee for a direct bankruptcy appeal or a direct
bankruptcy cross appeal, when the fee has been collected by the
bankruptcy court in accordance with item 14 of the Bankruptcy Court
Miscellaneous Fee Schedule.
(2) For conducting a search of the court of appeals records, $30 per name or
item searched. This fee applies to services rendered on behalf of the United
States if the information requested is available through remote electronic
(3) For certification of any document, $11.
(4) For reproducing any document, $.50 per page. This fee applies to services
rendered on behalf of the United States if the document requested is
available through remote electronic access.
(5) For reproducing recordings of proceedings, regardless of the medium, $30,
including the cost of materials. This fee applies to services rendered on
behalf of the United States if the recording is available through remote
(6) For reproducing the record in any appeal in which the court of appeals does
not require an appendix pursuant to FED. R. APP. P.30(f), $83.
(7) For retrieving a record from a Federal Records Center, National Archives, or
other storage location removed from the place of business of the court, $53.
(8) For a check paid into the court which is returned for lack of funds, $53.
(9) For copies of opinions, a fee commensurate with the cost of printing, as
fixed by each court.
(10) For copies of the local rules of court, a fee commensurate with the cost of
distributing the copies. The court may also distribute copies of the local rules
(11) For filing:
- Any separate or joint notice of appeal or application for appeal from
the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, $5;
- A notice of the allowance of an appeal from the Bankruptcy Appellate
(12) For counsel’s requested use of the court’s videoconferencing equipment in
connection with each oral argument, the court may charge and collect a fee
of $200 per remote location.
(13) For original admission of an attorney to practice, including a certificate of
admission, $176. For a duplicate certificate of admission or certificate of
good standing, $18.