Text Size -A+

April 2007

  • print
  • FAQs

This article is in the news archives --- for current news go to the Third Branch News.

 

Where the Money Goes — FY 2007


Nearly five months of fiscal year 2007 lapsed before the Judiciary received its appropriation; until then the courts had operated at fiscal year 2006 funding levels. By mid-February, the Judiciary was finally able to disperse $5.98 billion to its judicial branch accounts.

Of the Judiciary’s total funding, 5 percent funds the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Court of International Trade, the Administrative Office, the Federal Judicial Center, the U.S. Sentencing Commission, and the Judiciary Trust Fund. The remaining 95 percent goes to the Courts of Appeals, District Courts, and Other Judicial Services—for the Salaries and Expenses, Defender Services, Court Security, and Fees of Jurors accounts.

Of the four accounts, the Salaries and Expenses account receives 79 percent of the funding, the largest share. From this account, courts must pay rent, judges’ and court personnel salaries and benefits, their operating expenses, information technology and other expenses.

The Defender Services account receives 14 percent of the money, funding federal public defender and community defender organizations, compensation for private attorneys representing indigent defendants, and fees of persons providing inves- tigative, expert, and other services under the Criminal Justice Act.

The Court Security account receives 7 percent. This account provides funds, which are subsequently transferred to the U.S. Marshals Service and the Federal Protective Service, for the procurement, installation, and maintenance of security equipment, and for protective services, including contract security officers for the courts.

The Fees for Jurors account, 1 percent of the court’s total funding, pays for juror fees and expenses.