Effective December 1, 2014
District Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule¹
The fees included in the District Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule are to be charged for
services provided by the district courts.
- The United States should not be charged fees under this schedule, with the exception of
those specifically prescribed in Items 2, 4 and 5, when the information requested is
available through remote electronic access.
- Federal agencies or programs that are funded from judiciary appropriations (agencies,
organizations, and individuals providing services authorized by the Criminal Justice Act,
18 U.S.C. § 3006 and bankruptcy administrators) should not be charged any fees under
- For filing any document that is not related to a pending case or proceeding, $46.
- For conducting a search of the district court records, $30 per name or item
searched. This fee applies to services rendered on behalf of the United States if the
information requested is available through electronic access.
- For certification of any document, $11. For exemplification of any document, $21.
- For reproducing any record or paper, $.50 per page. This fee shall apply to paper
copies made from either: (1) original documents; or (2) microfiche or microfilm
reproductions of the original records. This fee shall apply to services rendered on
behalf of the United States if the record or paper requested is available through
- For reproduction of an audio recording of a court proceeding, $30. This fee
applies to services rendered on behalf of the United States, if the recording is
- For each microfiche sheet of film or microfilm jacket copy of any court record,
where available, $6.
- For retrieval of one box of records from a Federal Records Center, National
Archives, or other storage location removed from the place of business of the
court, $64. For retrievals involving multiple boxes, $39 for each additional box.
- For any payment returned or denied for insufficient funds, $53.
- For an appeal to a district judge from a judgment of conviction by a magistrate
judge in a misdemeanor case, $37.
- For original admission of attorneys to practice, $176 each, including a certificate
of admission. For a duplicate certificate of admission or certificate of good
- The court may charge and collect fees commensurate with the cost of providing
copies of the local rules of court. The court may also distribute copies of the local
rules without charge.
- The clerk shall assess a charge for the handling of registry funds deposited with
the court, to be assessed from interest earnings and in accordance with the detailed
fee schedule issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the United
For management of registry funds invested through the Court Registry Investment
System, a fee at a rate of 2.5 basis points shall be assessed from interest earnings.
- For filing an action brought under Title III of the Cuban Liberty and Democratic
Solidarity (LIBERTAD) Act of 1996, P.L. 104-114, 110 Stat. § 785 (1996),
$6,355. (This fee is in addition to the filing fee prescribed in 28 U.S.C. § 1914(a)
for instituting any civil action other than a writ of habeas corpus.)
- Administrative fee for filing a civil action, suit, or proceeding in a district court,
$50. This fee does not apply to applications for a writ of habeas corpus or to
persons granted in forma pauperis status under 28 U.S.C. § 1915.
- Processing fee for a petty offense charged on a federal violation notice, $25.
¹ Issued in accordance with 28 U.S.C. § 1914.