Criminal Justice Act (CJA) Guidelines
These policies and procedures represent the guidelines of the Judicial Conference of the United States for the administration and operation of the Criminal Justice Act (CJA). The Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees an accused the right to representation by counsel in serious criminal prosecutions. Enacted in 1964, the CJA establishes a comprehensive system for appointing and compensating legal representation for accused persons who are financially unable to retain counsel in federal criminal proceedings.
Guide to Judiciary Policy, Vol. 7 - Defender Services
Part A: Guidelines for Administering the CJA and Related Statutes
- Appendix 2A (pdf)(word)(wp): Model Criminal Justice Act Plan
- Appendix 2B (pdf)(word)(wp): Model Plan for the Composition, Administration and Management of the CJA Panel
- Appendix 2C (pdf)(word)(wp): Procedures for Interim Payments to Counsel in Non-Death Penalty Cases
- Appendix 2D (pdf)(word)(wp): Procedures for Interim Payments to Counsel in Death Penalty Cases
- Appendix 3A (pdf)(word)(wp): Sample Request for Advance Authorization for Investigative, Expert, or Other Services
- Appendix 3B (pdf)(word)(wp): Procedures for Interim Payments to Service Providers in Non-Death Penalty Cases
- Appendix 3C (pdf)(word)(wp): Procedures for Interim Payments to Service Providers in Capital Proceedings
- Appendix 3D (pdf)(word)(wp): Sample Order Authorizing the Acquisition of Computer (Hardware and/or Software) under the CJA
- Appendix 4A (pdf)(word)(wp): Community Defender Organization: Grant and Conditions
- Appendix 4B (pdf)(word)(wp): Model Code of Conduct for Federal Community Defender Employees
- Appendix 6A (pdf): Recommendations Concerning the Cost and Quality of Defense Representation (Spencer Report, May 1998)
These regulations have been issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts for the appointment and compensation of counsel and guardians ad litem in international prisoner transfer proceedings.
Transmittal 07-008: Vol 7 02/28/14 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-007: Vol 7 09/17/13 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-006: Vol 7 04/02/13 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-005: Vol 7 10/24/11 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-004: Vol 7 05/12/11 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-003: Vol 7 02/15/11 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-002: Vol 7 01/20/11 (pdf)
Transmittal 07-001: Vol 7 07/08/10 (pdf)
Transmittal GR-17: Vol 7 01/20/10 (pdf)
These materials were reconfigured in 2009 as part of a Guide Redesign Project.
A Legacy Guide Volume 7A Crosswalk (pdf) is available to help locate renumbered provisions.
Note: Several websites, including that of the Legal Information Institute, provide access to U.S. Code provisions and other legal content. The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts takes no responsibility for, and exercises no control over, the organizations, views, accuracy, copyright or trademark compliance or legality of the material contained on these sites. Links are merely provided for user convenience. Any questions or comments concerning a site should be directed to the institution that maintains it. The Administrative Office accepts no responsibility for, and does not endorse, any product, organization, or content at any linked site, or at any site to which that site may be linked. The Administrative Office accepts no responsibility for the availability or functionality of any link.