Discussion Questions - Miranda v. Arizona
Use these questions to jumpstart a discussion of Miranda v. Arizona.
1. What aspect of the Fifth Amendment does the Miranda decision address?
2. What are Miranda rights? What rights are included in a Miranda warning?
3. Analyze each phrase of the warning and discuss what it means.
4. In what circumstances does the Miranda decision apply?
5. List the procedures the Supreme Court set out in Miranda for law enforcement and prosecutors.
6. Why does it matter if people, who are in police custody, are advised of their rights?
7. What happens if Miranda warnings are not given to someone who later faces a criminal trial?
8. Discuss the lessons of Miranda as they might apply to protesters in the news.
9. Do juveniles have Miranda rights?
10. What are the factors that determine if a juvenile gets a Miranda warning?