Discussion starters bring constitutional principles into the lives of teens.
- Rule of Law
Case summaries show how the Supreme Court protects the rule of law and minority rights to:
- Express Unpopular Views: Snyder v. Phelps, Texas v. Johnson
- Participate in the Judicial Process: Batson v. Kentucky, J.E.B. v. Alabama
- Exercise Religious Practices: Church of the Lukumi-Babalu Aye, Inc. v. City of Hialeah, Yoder v. Wisconsin
- Access to Education: Plyer v. Doe, Brown v. Board of Education, Cooper v. Aaron
- Separation of Powers
A contemporary case demonstrates the role of the judiciary and the other branches of government.
- U.S. v. Alvarez - Stolen Valor
- Judicial Review (pdf)
This activity simplifies the complexities of the case that clarified the role of the Supreme Court.