District Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule
The fees included in the District Court Miscellaneous Fee Schedule¹ are to be charged for services provided by the district courts.
- The United States should not be charged fees under this schedule, with the exception of those specifically prescribed in Items 2, 4 and 5, when the information requested is available through remote electronic access.
- Federal agencies or programs that are funded from judiciary appropriations (agencies, organizations, and individuals providing services authorized by the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006 and bankruptcy administrators) should not be charged any fees under this schedule.
- For filing any document that is not related to a pending case or proceeding, $47.
- For conducting a search of the district court records, $31 per name or item searched. This fee applies to services rendered on behalf of the United States if the information requested is available through electronic access.
- For certification of any document, $11. For exemplification of any document, $22.
a. For reproducing any record and providing a copy in paper form, $.50 per page. This fee shall apply to paper copies made from either: (1) original documents; or (2) microfiche or microfilm reproductions of the original records. This fee shall apply to services rendered on behalf of the United States if the record requested is available through electronic access.
b. For reproducing and transmitting in any manner a copy of an electronic record stored outside of the court’s electronic case management system, including but not limited to, document files, audio recordings, and video recordings, $31 per record provided. Audio recordings of court proceedings continue to be governed by a separate fee in item 5 of this schedule.
- For reproduction of an audio recording of a court proceeding, $31. This fee applies to services rendered on behalf of the United States, if the recording is available electronically.
- For each microfiche sheet of film or microfilm jacket copy of any court record, where available, $6.
- For retrieval of one box of records from a Federal Records Center, National Archives, or other storage location removed from the place of business of the court, $64. For retrievals involving multiple boxes, $39 for each additional box. For electronic retrievals, $10 plus any charges assessed by the Federal Records Center, National Archives, or other storage location removed from the place of business of the courts.
- For any payment returned or denied for insufficient funds, $53.
- For an appeal to a district judge from a judgment of conviction by a magistrate judge in a misdemeanor case, $38.
- For original admission of attorneys to practice, $181 each, including a certificate of admission. For a duplicate certificate of admission or certificate of good standing, $19.
- The court may charge and collect fees commensurate with the cost of providing copies of the local rules of court. The court may also distribute copies of the local rules without charge.
- For handling registry funds deposited with and held by the court, the clerk shall assess a charge from interest earnings, in accordance with the detailed fee schedule issued by the Director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
- For management of registry funds invested through the Court Registry Investment System, a fee at an annual rate of 10 basis points of assets on deposit shall be assessed from interest earnings, excluding registry funds from disputed ownership interpleader cases deposited under 28 U.S.C. § 1335 and held in a Court Registry Investment System Disputed Ownership Fund.
- For management of funds deposited under 28 U.S.C. § 1335 and invested in a Disputed Ownership Fund through the Court Registry Investment System, a fee at an annual rate of 20 basis points of assets on deposit shall be assessed from interest earnings.
- The Director of the Administrative Office has the authority to waive these fees for cause.
- For filing an action brought under Title III of the Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity (LIBERTAD) Act of 1996, P.L. 104-114, 110 Stat. § 785 (1996), $6,548. (This fee is in addition to the filing fee prescribed in 28 U.S.C. § 1914(a) for instituting any civil action other than a writ of habeas corpus.)
- Administrative fee for filing a civil action, suit, or proceeding in a district court, $50. This fee does not apply to applications for a writ of habeas corpus or to persons granted in forma pauperis status under 28 U.S.C. § 1915.
- Processing fee for a petty offense charged on a federal violation notice, $30.
¹ Issued in accordance with 28 U.S.C. § 1914.