Job Details for Legal Advisor
|Court:||U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court|
|City, State:||Washington, DC|
The United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court seeks to hire a Legal Advisor to assist the Judges of the Court in considering applications presented by the U.S. government for authority to conduct electronic surveillance, physical search or other forms of intelligence gathering pursuant to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. The Legal Advisors advise Judges on legal issues presented in applications or otherwise before the Court.
The Court invites applications from attorneys with at least eight years of legal work experience, including at least one year equivalent to work at the JSP-15 (or the GS-15) level. The Court is particularly interested in applicants with expertise in intelligence law, constitutional law, privacy or communications technology and the law. Litigation experience is desirable. To be considered, an applicant must be a licensed attorney and a member in good standing of the bar of at least one jurisdiction, and possess a current Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
Full-time employees of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court are eligible for a full range of benefits to include:
- A minimum of 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid annual leave in the amount of 13 days per year for the first three years, 20 days per year after three years, and 26 days per year after fifteen years
- Paid sick leave in the amount of 13 days per year
- Retirement benefits
- Optional participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, Federal Employees’ Health Benefits, Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Parking Reimbursement Account, public transportation vouchers (SmartBenefits up to $265 per month), and Long-Term Care Insurance
- Employee Recognition Program, budget permitting
- On-site physical fitness facility
- Federal Occupational Health (FOH)/Employee Assistance Programs
- Work Life Services
- On-site Health Unit
- Priority enrollment for children beginning at three months of age until kindergarten of all employees of the United States Courts in the Thurgood Marshall Child Development Center (TMCDC)
For more detailed information about Federal Judiciary benefits, please go to www.uscourts.gov/careers/benefits.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
United States citizenship is required for consideration for this position.
Employees must possess a current Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
Employees of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court are excepted service appointments. Excepted service appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the court.
Employees are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct for Judicial Employees.
Employees are required to use Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) for payroll deposit.
Selection will be made consistent with the provisions of the Equal Employment Opportunity Plan adopted by the United States District and Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this announcement.
How To Apply
To be considered for this “at will” position, applicants are required to submit the following:
- A cover letter detailing how your experience relates to the position requirements
- AO-78, Federal Judicial Branch Application for Employment (can be downloaded from www.uscourts.gov)
- A resume detailing all relevant experience, education, and skills
- Writing sample, not to exceed ten pages
Applications may be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Failure to submit a complete and signed cover letter, AO-78, and resume will result in immediate disqualification. Description of Work section of the AO-78 must be complete to include salary information. Indicating “see resume” is not acceptable. Incomplete and/or unsigned applications will not be considered, returned or retained. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted and must travel at their own expense. One application per candidate will be accepted for this announcement.